The 2017-18 Webster Basketball Association season came to an end with a championship game between the fifth- and sixth-grade boys.
The No. 3-ranked New York Knicks pulled off the upset win over the No. 1-ranked Golden State Warriors 18–16 to claim the title this year.
During the regular season, the Warriors were undefeated and beat the Knicks twice. In the championship games first half, it was a defensive battle as the score was tied 6-6 at halftime. The Warriors were paced in the first half by Daniel Collins who scored four points on dribble drives to the basket from the high post. Mark Fountain collected an offensive rebound and put back for two points. The Knicks had strong guard play throughout the game from Cory Jones and Ethan Krog. Tarik Bell for the Knicks was able to gather a strong offensive rebound and connect with Cory on a pass for two points.
In the second half, both teams started to pick up the pace offensively and pushed the tempo. The Knicks continued to use their guards as Ethan penetrated baseline as he sank a right handed floater. Cory continued his hot shooting as he sank a couple of jump shots. The Warriors were able to answer as Nickolas Dickson and Stephen Barone were able to gather several offensive rebounds. Warriors point guard Nathan LaBarbera was able to find a wide open Stephen as he connected on a short jumper from the right side. Moments later, Nathan was sent to the line for two free throw attempts. He was unable to connect on either one but after a series of offensive tips and rebounds the ball wound up in his hands as he swooshed in a short jumper. Davids Vega of the Knicks displayed solid defense throughout the game as he held several of the Warriors top scorers in check.
The momentum changer for the Knicks was when their big man Brayden Piwko came up with a strong defensive stop on one end of the floor and then gathered the offensive rebound for a put back for two points on the other end. However, the Warriors were not done as Mark answered with a coast to coast drive and score to keep the Warriors within striking distance. The Knicks were ahead 18-12 as the Warriors called timeout with 2 minutes and 33 seconds left on the clock. The Warriors were able to score two more quick baskets from Daniel and Nathan to pull within two points. Only six seconds remaining on the clock and the Warriors down 18-16, Nathan heaved up and made a shot that would have sent the game to overtime had the time not run out prior to him releasing the ball.
League Commissioner Joe Canori thanked the players, parents and volunteer coaches who helped with another successful WBA season.