A 39-year-old Newark man, whose estranged wife disappeared and was later found dead, is now behind bars after police say he raped his live-in girlfriend.

CORRECTION: Due to a production error, the version of this story printed in the Jan. 7 edition of the Daily Messenger deleted information and as a result misstated key facts of the story. The online version of the story, linked to below, is correct.

ARCADIA — Thomas G. Rouland, the estranged husband of an Arcadia woman who was found dead by the side of the road in 2015, is now behind bars after police say he raped his live-in girlfriend.

On Jan. 6 State Police in Lyons charged the 39-year-old Newark man with first-degree rape, after an incident that allegedly occurred on Dec. 16.

Police say in mid-December Rouland allegedly raped by force a 33-year-old female who was living with him. The female was treated at the Newark-Wayne Community Hospital and released, they said.

Rouland is the estranged husband of the late Kimberly Rouland, who he reported missing on Feb. 9, 2015.

On March 12 her body was found naked and in the fetal position just a short distance from Martin Road in the town of Arcadia, police said. He told state police that the last time he saw her, she was walking from their home at the Forest County Trailer Park toward Fairville-Maple Ridge Road "to take care of some personal business and she would be right back," Rouland said.

The search for Kimberly Rouland was complicated by last winter's frigid temperatures and heavy snowfall. Members of the State Police and the state Department of Environmental Conservation scoured the area on four-wheelers and dispatching K-9 units. A helicopter was also deployed to search from above.

Though he was uncooperative in the investigation, Rouland was never charged in his late wife's death, police said.

Rouland was arraigned on the rape charge in Arcadia Town Court before Justice Arthur Williams and committed to the Wayne County Jail in lieu of $50,000.00 bail. A preliminary hearing is scheduled for Jan. 12.

State Police were assisted in the investigation by the Victim’s Resource Center of the Finger Lakes.