In response to recent high winds, power outages and snow, Greece Town Supervisor Bill Reilich and the town of Greece fire departments released safety precautions in regards to home generators.
The primary hazards to avoid are carbon monoxide poisoning from the toxic engine exhaust, electric shock or execution and fire. Follow the directions supplied with the generator. Do not use a generator indoors.
Keep the generator dry to avoid electrocution and do not use in rain or wet conditions. Operate it on a dry surface under an open, canopy-like structure, such as a tarp held up on poles. Do not touch the generator with wet hands.
Turn the generator off and let it cool down before refueling. Gasoline spilled on hot engine parts could ignite.
Store the fuel outside of living areas in a locked shed or other protected area. To guard against accidental fire, do not store it near a fuel burning appliance, such as a natural gas water heater in a garage.
Plug appliances directly into the generator or use a heavy duty, outdoor-rated extension cord that is rated at least equal to the sum of the connected appliance loads. Check that the entire cord is free of cuts or tears and that the plug has all three prongs, especially a grounding pin.
Never try to power the house wiring by plugging the generator into a wall outlet. Known as backfeeding, this practice puts utility workers, neighbors and the household at risk of electrocution. Even a properly connected portable generator can become overloaded, resulting in overheating or generator failure. Read the instructions.
Stagger the operating times for various equipment to prevent overloads, if necessary.