Greece Town Supervisor Bill Reilich and the town board will partner with Monroe County to hold a household hazardous waste collection from 8 a.m. to noon Oct. 14 at town of Greece Department of Public Works, 647 Long Pond Road, Rochester.
The town and Monroe County will provide this service to Greece residents at no charge.
Appointments are required for the collection to ensure safety and reduce waiting times. Registration will be accepted until Oct. 13.
Waste from businesses will not be accepted. Up to 30 gallons of approved materials will be accepted per appointment at no charge.
Approved materials include oil-based and latex paint; wood stain and preservatives; automotive fluids, such as antifreeze, brake power steering and transmission fluids; pesticides and fertilizers; flammable products, such as gasoline, kerosene, thinners, strippers and solvents; household cleaners, including liquid soaps and waxes and drain cleaners; driveway sealer; pool and photo chemicals; rechargeable and button batteries; mercury from thermometers and thermostats; and syringes and sharps that are safely packaged.
For one-third gallon or less of latex paint, discard the lid and add cat litter. Once dry, dispose the can in a regular trash receptacle. Remove the lid of cans with dried paint and place in the regular trash.
Unaccepted materials include used motor oil and lead acid batteries; empty containers; smoke detectors; alkaline batteries; propane tanks; cooling oil and cooking grease; glazing, spackle and joint compounds; asbestos; products intended for industrial use; explosives, ammunition and black or smokeless powder; and shock sensitive materials, such as crystallized ethers and picric acid.
Contact a service station or retailer to dispose of used motor oil and lead acid batteries.
Empty containers, alkaline batteries, glazing, spackle and joint compounds can go in regular trash or recycle receptacles. For smoke detectors, contact the manufacturer or discard in the trash.
Propane tanks, cooking oil and cooking grease will only be accepted at permanent HHW facilities.
To remove asbestos, look under “Asbestos Abatement” in the Yellow Pages.
Call 911 to remove explosives, ammunition, black and/or smokeless powder and shock-sensitive materials, such as crystallized ethers and picric acid.
For information, call 585-225-2000.