Original Station School, 1856.
District No. 13 on Washington Street, 1898.
Despatch Union Free School, 1899. Torn down 1836.
ER High School, 1911. Torn down 1936.
ER Elementary School, 1924. Named Lois E. Bird School in 1979.
ER High School, 1936. Named T.L.R. Morgan School in 1980.
New ER High School, 1959. On Woodbine Avenue.
Campus School-all grades, 1995. On Woodbine Avenue.
On Nov. 27, 1822, a new school district was formed for the towns of Perinton and Pittsford. With a moderator, three trustees, a collector and a district clerk, $20 was collected for providing and repairing a room to hold classes.
At first, school was held only during the winter months. By 1825, school was in session for seven months, but only one teacher was hired for four of those months. For the other three months, a woman with fewer credentials was hired for less money.
The total enrollment of students was 49. Twenty-five students lived in Perinton, and 24 students lived in Pittsford. Thirty-seven students were ages 5 through 16 years old, and 12 students were over 16 years.
Each family was expected to donate wood for the winter. If they didn’t have enough wood, a vendor would deliver it for 87 cents a cord.
School interest began to wan for the next five years. In September 1834, a meeting was held to raise $200 for the purpose of building a school house. Each taxable inhabitant had to be notified. In many cases, the notice had to be read to them.
The site of the building was on the property of John Cole. His farm was the southwest line of Perinton. It would have been where the Brainerd Manufacturing Company was located. The school was made of wood with a stone foundation and was 20 feet by 24 feet with 8-feet high walls. It cost $12 to paint the new building.
By 1837, school was in session for nine months. Seven of those months were taught by a qualified teacher, who was paid a total of $81.21 for the school year. In 1842, money was raised to install a stove and pipe. A fence of cedar posts and oak rails was erected around the north side of the school in 1853. That was the year when the New York Central Railroad laid its tracks through the village.
To be continued.