An overnight fire forced more than two dozen people out of their homes in downtown Rochester near Geva Theatre on the South Avenue Extension early Friday morning.

An overnight fire forced more than two dozen people out of their homes in downtown Rochester.

Firefighters responded to the Capron Lofts near Geva Theatre on the South Avenue Extension just before 1:30 a.m. Friday.

Crews found heavy smoke and flames coming from the back patio of Side Bar. The fire there climbed up the walls of the Capron Lofts with 30 people inside. The heat broke the windows, and the flames went inside of the building.

Firefighters put the flames out in less than 30 minutes. They also got some help from the automatic sprinklers inside Capron Lofts which went off.

Tenants there say they have an idea what started the fire.

“It looked as though the cooking area or fire pit area of that building was on fire, but I’d like to say this was a surprise, but I feel as though this was going to happen,” says tenant Sade Begley.

“It was also amazing how quickly they got it out,” says Sue Shultz, another tenant.

There were no injuries and everyone was able to get out safely.

Some of the building has significant water damage. Officials are finding temporary housing for the people displaced by the fire.

The investigation is ongoing.