Christopher Pate was walking down Fulton Avenue when he was stopped by officers because he resembled a wanted suspect.

The investigation continues Wednesday into two Rochester police officers, accused of beating, punching and tasing an innocent man.

Christopher Pate was walking down Fulton Avenue when he was stopped by officers because he resembled a wanted suspect.

After providing officers an ID, showing he wasn't the suspect, the officers still engaged him, arrested him using excessive force and charged him with disorderly conduct.

That charge was later dropped.

Court documents say the victim suffered a number of injuries including a fractured face.

The incident happened in May but the suspensions were handed out nearly four months later.

Deputy Chief La'Ron Singletary tells us it's because these internal investigations take anywhere from 90 to 120 days.

"We get witnesses, if there is any video evidence that may land to the allocation or refute the allegation, we also at some point, talk to the individual officers that are involved," explained Singletary.

Police Chief Michael Ciminelli watched the police body camera footage a month ago, but Singletary says the chief wanted to do more investigating to be thorough before deciding to suspend the officers.

The suspensions followed statements made by the officers in question last week.

"The officers conduct was not in line with the policies and procedures of the Rochester Police Department after they had an opportunity come to the professional standards section & provide a statement," said Singletary.

Officer Spenser McAvoy is one of the officers; the second News10NBC is not identifying since he isn't named yet in any legal filings.

This isn't the first time these two officers have been accused of using excessive force.

News10NBC obtained federal court documents from two other cases against the Rochester Police Department, involving multiple officers including the two now-suspended officers.

Singletary declined to comment on those cases.

Michael Mazzeo, president of the police union, thinks the decision was rushed.

"After officers give a statement they are notified if they want an opportunity to be heard," explained Mazzeo.

Mazzeo says they are then given 10 to 20 days to decide and look at the paperwork but the union president says the officers were "denied that right" and only given two days on top of getting notified on a Saturday.

"We weren't even able to have the attorney representing them available," said Mazzeo."It was show up on Monday or be done with it."