Investigators are trying to figure out what sparked a fire that seriously hurt a man.

Investigators are trying to figure out what sparked a fire that seriously hurt a man.

A mattress caught fire in the top apartment of a duplex on Clifford Avenue near North Street in Rochester around 11:45 p.m. Wednesday night.

Firefighters say the man inside the apartment came outside, but then went back in to put out the flames himself.

He suffered burns to his face.

The battalion chief said when it comes to fires, leave it to them.

"I think it's that initial shock," Battalion Chief Mike Dupra said. "People get stressed out. They think they got to take care of it and emotions take over and they make the wrong decision. So, get out of the structure make the phone call and we'll take over from there."

Firefighters were able to contain the flames to just the mattress.

No one else was hurt.