In April of 1882, representatives of a new railroad company submitted a map to the Monroe County Clerk’s office, which outlined the proposed route to be taken by the West Shore and Buffalo Railroad. Perinton and Fairport residents paid particular attention, for the new railroad, like the New York Central years before, was planned to cut across the length of the town. There were few concerns by property owners from the Wayne County line to the center of the village, as the new tracks shared the same right of way as the existing New York Central. However, the map showed that, beginning a bit west of North Main Street, the new tracks were to take a more southerly route on their path to the west. The railroad negotiated with property owners, met some resistance, but ultimately purchased all the land needed for the new tracks.
As with the Erie Canal sixty years earlier, the largest obstacle in the path of the new railroad was the Irondequoit valley. By March of 1883, published reports described an iron viaduct (bridge) of 450 feet to be built, to span the valley and Irondequoit Creek, just south of the Rochester Road, today known as Fairport Road. Other reports pegged the bridge at closer to 300 feet. Either way, the enormous iron bridge did not age well, and by 1907, was replaced by a concrete aqueduct, essentially an enormous culvert.
When built, the concrete aqueduct was considered something of an engineering marvel due to its size, and reports indicated it would be one of the largest cement arches in the country. The new span was designed to carry the railroad at a height about sixteen feet higher than the original iron bridge. After the concrete culvert was completed, the old iron bridge above it was buried in earthen fill, with the newly raised railroad tracks sitting atop the ridge. And that is how it remains today, well over a century later. The 1883 iron bridge, or what is left of it, still spans the Irondequoit Creek, buried beneath the tracks and above the enormous concrete aqueduct.