With this being the 70th anniversary of the opening of the village’s community swimming pool, a short history of its beginning might be in order.
The completion of the pool was the culmination of a project started in 1947 by a group of citizens, who were determined to have a public swimming pool for the children and adults of the village to enjoy during the summer months.
In 1947, $1,200 was raised to start the project, which was abandoned after deciding that the Eyer Park site, originally chosen for the location of the pool, was unsatisfactory from many points of view.
In 1948, information was made public that the trustees of the Kate Gleason estate wanted to sponsor a project in memory of the late Kate Gleason and would contribute $80,000 to the village towards the construction of a swimming pool.
Miss Gleason, who died in 1933, succeeded Harry Eyer as president of the First National Bank of East Rochester; and throughout the years she never faltered in her interest in the growth of the village. She also was responsible for the development of the Concrest housing tract on the western border of the village.
Plans were discussed with many persons who had experience in the construction and operation of pools, it was decided to build a replica of the Seneca Park pool in Rochester. The final product was a pool measuring 45 by 100 feet, with depths running from 3 to 9 feet for all classes of swimmers. The pool was to be erected near Edmond Lyon Park, which was also a gift to the village from Kate Gleason.
Five full-time lifeguards were hired. Children from the East Rochester community could swim in the pool during the day. About 800 children in the community registered for lessons in the first year. Five hundred swimmers could be accommodated in the locker rooms in the basement of the school. In the summer of 1950 over 16,000 people used the pool. It was so popular that callouts were done every hour. Most of the kids called out just went to the end of the line to get in again.
The swimmers in the early days of the pool thought the water was very cold. It had been averaging 66 degrees each day. The water was supplied from artesian wells and consequently the water in the pool was always cool. In 1978, the pool itself was completely renovated. In 2013 a heater was installed, and the attached building was renovated. The local school now has the responsibility of managing the pool.