A three-year-old boy has died after he fell into a grease trap behind the Tim Hortons restaurant on University Avenue in Rochester. There are not a lot of other details at this time.

A three-year-old boy has died after he fell into a grease trap at Tim Hortons on University Avenue.

Rochester Police say the boy fell into the trap behind the restaurant Monday morning. The boy's mother couldn't find him so she called police.

By the time first responders arrived, a bystander had pulled the boy out and was trying to revive him. CPR attempts by the bystander and EMTs were unsuccessful.

A grease trap is a device found in many commercial establishments that prepare food. Grease traps prevent fats, oils, and greases from flowing out with the wastewater into the sanitary sewer system. This trap was apparently located behind the restaurant in the parking lot. It is not known how the boy got into the trap.

The boy, whose name has not yet been released, was taken to Strong Memorial Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Rochester Police are continuing to investigate the incident.