The family of two adults and two children is being helped by Red Cross

Middlesex Fire Chief Brian Oppelt credits a neighbor who wishes to remain anonymous for saving a family of four from a house fire Wednesday night, April 22.

Oppelt says the neighbor saw the flames at 1201 Mill St. at about 10 p.m. He ran to the house, and awoke the family, but by then, flames blocked the doorway exit, so they all escaped through a kitchen window.

Oppelt says the house, rented by James E. Utter, 31, and his family, was a total loss due to fire, smoke, and water damage. Oppelt says preliminary evidence points to a discarded cigarette butt on the front porch as the cause of the fire at one of the hamlet’s oldest houses.

The family of two adults and two children are being assisted by Red Cross.

Middlesex Hose Company was assisted by Potter, Rushville, Benton, and Crystal Beach Fire Departments, Middlesex Ambulance, Yates County Office of Emergency Management, and Yates County Sheriff’s Department.