Foyer renovations completed at Brighton Library
The foyer renovation project at Brighton Memorial Library, 2300 Elmwood Ave., is complete. Workers installed a new ceiling, new walls and upgraded flooring, as well as two millstones.
The design element focuses on the millstones. These pieces of local history are from the Brighton residence of George French, son of mustard manufacturer R.T. French. They were removed by the town when the Elmwood Avenue estate, known as Sideways, was demolished in 2006.
The millstones reportedly belonged to Margaret Woodbury Strong at one point, who collected millstones, and likely came from the Barnes Mill on Allen’s Creek near Corbett’s Glen. The mill was established in 1815 and demolished in 1957 for the Eastern Expressway, now Interstate 490.
The concrete millstone near the exterior entry doors weighs approximately 1,400 pounds. The granite millstone near the library’s interior doors weighs approximately 2,100 pounds.
Although the project took longer than expected, it was necessary as BML is the second busiest library in the Monroe County Library System. It welcomed 273,148 patrons in 2019, averaging 808 visitors daily.
“Between the pandemic, construction restrictions and back-ordered materials, delays were inevitable and we had to reroute entry to the library twice,” executive director Jennifer Ries-Taggart said. “The inconvenience and outcome has been worth it. Thank you to our patrons for flexing with this.”
The library is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Mondays-Tuesdays and Thursdays-Fridays, and 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Wednesdays. Call 585-784-5300 or visit brightonlibrary.org for information.