Messenger Post Media prints this column to keep readers informed of "wishes" submitted by local charities. Here are two agencies listed in this year’s Community Wishbook.
Agape Haven of Abundance
289 Driving Park
Rochester, New York, 14613
Contact: Julia Oakley
Purpose: Provides hunger relief, crisis intervention and workforce development to low- to moderate-income households, those living in poverty neighborhoods.
• blankets, bed sheets
• coats, sweaters, sweatshirts, hats
• hygiene products: deodorant, soap, sanitary napkins, toothbrush, toothpaste, toilet tissue
• pots and pans, microwave, refrigerator, freezer
• Grant writer, fundraiser.
• Bookkeeper, office administrator, data entry.
• Social media, web designer, productions.
3399 S. Winton Road
Rochester, New York, 14623
Phone: 585-334-6000, ext. 1321
Contact: Tina Bennett
Mission: To support people with physical and developmental disabilities in choosing and accomplishing individual life goals.
• Diaper wipes, shaving cream
• Preschool games: Hullabaloo Cranium, The Sneaky, Snacky Squirrel
• Grocery store products: small plastic disposable cups, large and small paper plates, paper bowls, Kleenex tissues, dried black and white beans, chickpeas, feed corn, popcorn kernels, lentils, all shapes dried pasta, cornstarch, vinegar, Ziploc bags (all sizes, disposable and reusable)
• Play kitchen food, pots, pans utensils
• Coloring books (preschool), colored tissue paper, colored duct tape, Velcro, googly eyes, stickers
• Interlocking puzzles, Magna-Tiles (50-100 pieces), crayons, large child size
• Markers: permanent, dry erase
• Glue, glue sticks
• Plastic insects, Play-Doh
• Cotton balls, Band-Aids (child’s, latex-free)
• Cloth ribbon, colorful
• Pencil boxes, plastic storage containers with lids (shoe box size)
• Ankle weights (1/2-1 pound)
• Metronome, egg shakers, rhythm sticks
• Adaptive sports, special events.
• Integrated preschool program, adult basic education.
• Drivers to take older adults to medical appointments, errands, etc.
Please contact the charities directly if you can help. Visit communitywishbook.org for other local charities.